Before the Rebellion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hogwarts school at the time of James, Lily, Sirius and Remus. The rebellion is about to begin and when it does, on which side will you be?

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Astronomy Class One

Go down 
+10
Narcissa Black
Zane Carter
Leighanna Lovegood
Eric Jennings
Kayalynn Green
Sirius Black
Severus Snape
Catalina Williams
Cassandra Smits
Celestia Ceres
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Zane Carter
Teachers Assistant
Zane Carter

Astronomy Class One - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astronomy Class One   Astronomy Class One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 6:47 am

Zane was pulled back down to earth by peoples stares. He saw Catilina glaring and noticed that she was beautiful. But for some reason he could not see her face, really see it. At that moment he knew he had imprinted on her. "Damn" he murmered
Back to top Go down
Catalina Williams
INACTIVE
Catalina Williams

PostSubject: Re: Astronomy Class One   Astronomy Class One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 10:08 am

Catalina felt eyes on her and she looked up, first meeting Eric's. She gave him a brief grin before shoving her hair behind her ears. Then, she felt her hairs prickle slightly. Gazing over in the direction of the Assistant, she glared harshly at him, wondering why he had the nerve to stare at her, after looking at the filthy Gryffindor.
Back to top Go down
Celestia Ceres
Astronomy Teacher
Celestia Ceres

PostSubject: Re: Astronomy Class One   Astronomy Class One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 11:24 am

Celestia watched as a new girl walked in a sat next to the boy in black towards the back. She looked around a few times to find that the room was becoming uneasy with stares and different tensions. She decided that it was time to begin.

Standing up, Celestia Ceres moved to the front of the room and greeted the class with a warm smile, "Good evening everyone and welcome to the first Astronomy class. My name is Professor Ceres and I will be your teacher. This class is not a difficult class. All that I ask from you is your participation and patience. Also, if you miss a class or two, it isn't a problem. Just ask a friend for notes, or visit me in my office for any assignments. But if your absence becomes a problem or an everyday thing, then I will be obligated, against my wishes, to give you a detention."

Celestia glanced around the room to see how the kids reacted to her opening speech. She tried to be kind, and she hoped that she was.

She continued, "Half of this class will take place in the the classroom, here. And the other half will be in the Astronomy Tower observing. Everyone will be required to have a telescope, and a textbook. If you do not have either of these, please let me know, and I will gladly give you the right supplies. Are there any questions?"
Back to top Go down
Catalina Williams
INACTIVE
Catalina Williams

PostSubject: Re: Astronomy Class One   Astronomy Class One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 3:50 pm

Catalina smiled beautifully at Professor Ceres. She would never miss this class. The heavenly bodies were one of her favorite things. Grinning widely as she shook her head to the Professor's question, she could barely hold in her excitement.
Back to top Go down
Lux Levesque

Lux Levesque

PostSubject: Re: Astronomy Class One   Astronomy Class One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 9:06 am

Lux entered the Astronomy classroom with her textbook clutched close to her chest. She loved this class and was excited for it. Stars and celestial objects always held an interest to her.

As she looked around the room, she noticed the students were attentive and that the professor was standing at the front. Lux's eyes grew wide with embarrassment that class had already started. "My apologies, Professor," she said softly and sincerely before taking a seat that was closest to her. Her face tinted slightly red.
Back to top Go down
Celestia Ceres
Astronomy Teacher
Celestia Ceres

PostSubject: Re: Astronomy Class One   Astronomy Class One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 11:41 am

As she paused, Celestia looked around to see if anyone had a question. She saw Catalina's wide smile and excitement. Celestia was surprised someone else had such a great passion for the stars as she did. She took the girl's smile as encouragement to continue.

Before she could, however, a girl walked into the room. Celestia watched as she apologized and sat down blushing. She was clearly embarrassed. Celestia addressed the girl in front of the class. "It's quite alright," she spoke kindly. "You haven't missed much. I see that you have your textbook, but do you have a telescope as well? And what did you say your name is, dear?"
Back to top Go down
Sarah Taylor

Sarah Taylor

PostSubject: Re: Astronomy Class One   Astronomy Class One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 3:50 pm

Sarah ran into the class out of breath and looked embarrassed. "I'm so sorry I'm late professor."
Back to top Go down
Kayalynn Green
Fifth Year, Seeker
Kayalynn Green

PostSubject: Re: Astronomy Class One   Astronomy Class One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 4:10 pm

Kaya looked over at her cousin and smiled. She motioned for her to have the other seat next to Kaya and laughed. "Late as always."
Back to top Go down
Eric Jennings
Sixth year, Beater
Eric Jennings

PostSubject: Re: Astronomy Class One   Astronomy Class One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 4:12 pm

"Cosins? Your family does get around Kaya" Eric said lightly
Back to top Go down
Kayalynn Green
Fifth Year, Seeker
Kayalynn Green

PostSubject: Re: Astronomy Class One   Astronomy Class One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 4:17 pm

Kaya laughed. "Her mum and my dad are brother and sister. We're pretty close." she smiled a pearly white smile at him and held his hand.
Back to top Go down
Eric Jennings
Sixth year, Beater
Eric Jennings

PostSubject: Re: Astronomy Class One   Astronomy Class One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 4:24 pm

Eric smiled and held his hand out for her to shake "Hello I'm Eric Jennings, pleased to meet you"
Back to top Go down
Sarah Taylor

Sarah Taylor

PostSubject: Re: Astronomy Class One   Astronomy Class One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 4:35 pm

Sarah giggled. "Um, Eric, I've been in the same house as you since you came here. I know who you are." She smiled but looked a bit confused. "But I thought you were with Prophet."
Back to top Go down
Eric Jennings
Sixth year, Beater
Eric Jennings

PostSubject: Re: Astronomy Class One   Astronomy Class One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 5:04 pm

"No" a hard look crossed his face "I grew up" he said as if it exclaimed things
Back to top Go down
Sarah Taylor

Sarah Taylor

PostSubject: Re: Astronomy Class One   Astronomy Class One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Sarah shrugged and sat down on the other side of Kaya. "Okay then. So when did you two start dating?" She asked looking at them happily.
Back to top Go down
Eric Jennings
Sixth year, Beater
Eric Jennings

PostSubject: Re: Astronomy Class One   Astronomy Class One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 5:20 pm

"A few weeks ago" he said smiling "give or take a bit"
Back to top Go down
Zane Carter
Teachers Assistant
Zane Carter

PostSubject: Re: Astronomy Class One   Astronomy Class One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 7:47 am

Zane hardly noticed Catilina's harsh stare. It was pointless, meaningless, and yet univoideable. It was horrible. He could not take it. he moved up the front of the room and excused himself from the class.
Back to top Go down
Lux Levesque

Lux Levesque

PostSubject: Re: Astronomy Class One   Astronomy Class One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 8:47 am

Lux realized that the professor was directing her question towards her. "Lux Levesque," she said, making her voice sound as strong and bold as she could. She kept her gaze with the professor, hoping she would continue.

Another girl walked in late, Lux noticed. She breathed a sigh of relief as she thought, I wasn't the only one.
Back to top Go down
Catalina Williams
INACTIVE
Catalina Williams

PostSubject: Re: Astronomy Class One   Astronomy Class One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 10:39 am

Catalina watched the Assistant leave. Serves him right from staring at the pig, she thought disgustedly. A part of her wanted to apologize, but she wouldn't. Not now. She looked over at the two girls that had arrived late, instantly recognizing them as Lux and some other girl who's name she couldn't place at the moment. Both Ravenclaw. The other is a Veela, she thought, trying to remember the blonde's name. She didn't really like her that much, mainly because she hung out with the annoying Gryffindors far too much. It was disgusting.
Back to top Go down
Celestia Ceres
Astronomy Teacher
Celestia Ceres

PostSubject: Re: Astronomy Class One   Astronomy Class One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 3:00 pm

Celestia laughed softly at the other girl who walked in late. "I guess I didn't start my class late enough," Celestia joked. "Anyway, all you need is a telescope and textbook for the class," Celestia said to Sarah.

Celestia frowned as Zane Carter uncomfortably excused himself from class. She wondered what was the matter and hoped it wasn't something she had said.

She looked down at Lux and smiled, "Welcome to Astronomy, Miss Levesque. I am pleased you could be here.

"Now, let's begin the lesson," Celestia's voice seemed to sing. "Astronomy, or the study of the universe and all the heavenly bodies that are present in it, is one of the oldest sciences. Ancient civilizations used to study the sky, chart it, and map it. The term "astronomy" comes from the greek words astron, meaning "star" and nomos, meaning "law"."

Celestia paused for a moment and looked around the room to find that some students were jotting down notes.

"Today we are going to talk about Constellations. Now, everyone has heard about constellations. If you follow your "sign", then you will know about the Zodiac constellations. Can anyone tell me how many zodiac constellations there are?" Celestia looked around the class waiting for someone to answer.
Back to top Go down
Catalina Williams
INACTIVE
Catalina Williams

PostSubject: Re: Astronomy Class One   Astronomy Class One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 4:06 pm

Catalina raised her hand immediately and said, "There are actually thirteen, but we only know them as the twelve that are positioned with our months. The one that most of us don't know is Ophiucus, because it rises with the sun. I believe that it it hidden by it."

She lowered her hand, wondering if she had gotten it right. She scratched more of what Professor Ceres was saying and then looked back up, waiting.
Back to top Go down
Brandy Blake
First Year
Brandy Blake

PostSubject: Re: Astronomy Class One   Astronomy Class One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 2:58 am

There was laughter from the hallways coming from a group of Slytherins who pushed Brandy into the classroom roughly before running off, that same group had just finished beating Brandy until the bruises showed. Brandy straightened herself, wincing slightly. "My apologies for being late Professor...", She said, voice no louder than a whisper. Brandy took her seat, this was her favorite class, and she wouldn't miss it for the world.
Back to top Go down
Eric Jennings
Sixth year, Beater
Eric Jennings

PostSubject: Re: Astronomy Class One   Astronomy Class One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 8:15 am

Eric watched Kaya waiting for the Professer to speak.
Back to top Go down
Celestia Ceres
Astronomy Teacher
Celestia Ceres

PostSubject: Re: Astronomy Class One   Astronomy Class One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 2:57 pm

Celestia looked at the girl impressed. "Correct!" she cried. "Ten points to Ravenclaw. Ophiucus is the thirteenth zodiac. In astrology," Celestia stressed the word, hoping no one would mistake it for astronomy, "the birthday signs were given by which constellation rose with the sun during the month of your birth. No one knows, however, why Ophiucus was discarded. Some say that perhaps the ancient civilization that first mapped those constellations wanted an even number so they got rid of one." She looked around the room and paused again before continuing.

"When one thinks of constellations, one might think of pictures in the sky. But in astronomy, those pictures are called asterisms." She paused so that the students could right that down. "In astronomy, however, a constellation is an area of the sky, and contains all the stars and other celestial objects within that area. There are all kinds of constellations, 88 being the total number. But roughly only half of those are visible to us, since we live in the Northern hemisphere of the globe."

Celestia pulled out her wand and with it made the room go black. With a wave of her wand, the ceiling of her classroom took on the image of the night sky. With another wave, names of the constellations appeared as well as lines connecting the different patterns and shapes.

Astronomy Class One - Page 2 Aaaplanispher

"These are the northern hemisphere constellations. We are going to be focusing much of our attention on these ones.

"For your homework, I would like you to choose any two of these constellations. And please, try not to choose just the common ones. I would like you to include the name of the constellation, its translation, and it's alpha star. The alpha star in a constellation is usually the brightest star, but this isn't always the case."

Celestia pointed up to the sky. "For example if I were to pick the constellation Andromeda. I will follow this format:

Constellation Name: Andromeda
Translation: Princess of Ethiopia or the Chained Lady
Alpha Star: Alpheratz"

"It's a very simple assignment. Just owl them to me, when complete. Doing more than two constellations will give you extra credit. If you have any questions, cannot find something, or are unclear of what to do, my help is always available. You can always visit me in my office." She smiled before she finished. "Books are in the library. Constellations in your textbook start on page 23. I will keep you updated on the next observation date and time. That is all! Class is dismissed."

Celestia drew the lights back on with her wand and caused the night sky that had once been her ceiling to vanish. She went to her desk and sat down in her chair.
Back to top Go down
Celestia Ceres
Astronomy Teacher
Celestia Ceres

PostSubject: Re: Astronomy Class One   Astronomy Class One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 3:02 pm

OOC: Sorry about the length! The assignment seriously isn't that hard, promise! Just choose the constellations you'd like to do then go here:
http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~dolan/constellations/constellation_list.html
Click on the name and then just easily copy down the answers. The alpha star is the first one on the list of stars.
Smile Goodluck!
Back to top Go down
Silver Hunting

Silver Hunting

PostSubject: Re: Astronomy Class One   Astronomy Class One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 12:49 pm

Silver moved into the room and seeing that there was no where else he took the seat next to Brandy Blake
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Astronomy Class One   Astronomy Class One - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Astronomy Class One
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next